Holiday To Falmouth - Part Two


Whilst on holiday in Falmouth I was determined to step foot on a boat for the first time in over a decade! I originally had a wildlife cruise in mind but Vanessa at The Highcliffe B&B suggested a ferry trip over to St Mawes, so off I went to explore! As you can see, the weather was a little grey in the morning, very breezy too, but luckily it wasn't too rough and my sea legs held up! And in less than half an hour, I stepped foot into St Mawes. I was struck by what a picturesque town it was, with plenty of gorgeous houses tucked on the cliffs above the sea greeting you as the ferry comes into harbour. There are plenty of independant cafes, shops and galleries and I bought some lovely local artwork which will remind me of my trip. 






I took the afternoon to just wander and explore the little town, and found the most perfect picnic bench by the beach! The houses were painted the classic jolly seaside pastels, and had very characterful front gardens full of blooming flowers, this Wisteria creeped along the sea wall for much of my walk! One of my favourite features of Cornwall is how rich the variety of plantlike is, out of all the walls and cracks in the pavement spring all sorts of flowers, succulents and grasses. A rough, rugged coastline is always my preferred beach style too, lots of gorgeous toned pebbles to hoard! What do you do with your beach pebbles once you get them home? We put them in the bottom of hurricane lanterns and jars for candles.



Up a VERY steep incline (I don't know how local drivers park and navigate those hills every day!) I found St Mawes Church overlooking the sea. I thought I would head inside and see if they had coastal themed stained glass... and I was rewarded! Aren't the colours gorgeous? And the detail on the seagulls and delicate birds really is stunning, makes me want to get back into my glass making! The impressive giant seal window took me by surprise, but isn't he grand? It was a very welcoming little church, and I was lucky to have it all to myself. There's something very heartening about pushing those unlocked heavy doors, and being trusted to step inside and explore.
  





I had a wonderful afternoon in St Mawes and I would highly recommend a visit if you are in the area! Back on dry land in Falmouth I spent some time finally exploring the town itself, more plantlike springing out at me with every step! Aren't those curly grasses gorgeous? Sorry if there's too much plant talk, I think a few people did find my interest unusual!

After a recommendation from a good friend, I was determined to visit The Good Vibes Cafe whilst in Falmouth, as it is run by two fellow Farnham UCA Grads and sounded right up my street! It had a central location, and had a board outside greeting you with "It's a good day, to have a good day!" :) I had the smoothie of the day - banana, avocado, almond milk, pecan and maple syrup, which was just as yum as it sounds! And a slice of their lemon and blueberry chia loaf cake, so I was feeling rather virtuous really ;) Definitely cancelled out the previous nights fish and chips! They had great magazines and books to read so I enjoyed just hanging out and people watching that morning, all the food looked fantastic!




As it was my last full afternoon I followed my usual coastal path over to Swanpool Beach, the sun was back out so perfect time for a Cornish ice cream! I loved the original signage at The Swanpool Beach Cafe, really nostalgic! It's a man made beach but you wouldn't immediately guess, and you are sat right by the jolly beach huts which all are named after types of fish - sea bass, lemon sole, kipper! The beach is very popular for water sports, so if my next trip is warmer I know where to head for paddle board practice! 

For my last evening, I headed to my favourite Falmouth haunt, Gylly Beach Cafe. I had sat outside and eaten lunch here a couple of times on my trip and it looked a very friendly chilled place in the evenings, I wasn't made to feel awkward eating alone and all the staff chatted and made me very comfortable, and I was at a good chapter in my book so I was occupied! And even better than the winning service, was the fish and chips which were absolutely delicious! As you can see, these might not be in the traditional style, but those minty mushy pea/broad beans were amazing (the chunky chips were on the side, I didn't want to spoil the presentation!) Finally I sat on the terrace and toasted my perfect Cornish holiday with a G&T and watched the sun go down, perfection!





It was such a memorable trip, I made great progress in my sketchbook for the first time in years! The town had a very welcoming and relaxed feel, with plenty to keep any type of visitor occupied, there was still so much I wanted to do! I can't recommend The Highcliffe B&B enough, Simon and Vanessa are the perfect hosts, and I had so much fun with them I almost wished they weren't so busy so we could go to the pub! You won't be short of cafes, restaurants or shops - so what's stopping you? The Oyster Festival in the the autumn, so I might see you there! :)

Thanks for reading,

Katie 

4 comments :

Candy Pop said...

I was in Cornwall a couple of months ago, if we'd been there at the same time we could have had a cuppa! Good to hear you got your sketch book out, it's been so many years for me I wouldn't know what to do with one. Have a great weekend!

Stephanie 139a said...

St Mawes is a beautiful place - quite quirky and yes very steep in places! Loved it, sounds as if you did too!

Porcelina said...

Ah, this all sounds and looks so wonderful. I love Cornwall, it feels very similar to West Wales in parts, but definitely has a beauty all its own. I've never been to St Mawes but will put it on my list of places to see after your recommendation. I'm glad you had a good time xx

CJ said...

Cornwall is so beautiful isn't it, and you're right, the plants there are fantastic. The stained glass is wonderful, and I love the shot of your drink with the beach in the background. Does it get any better?! Glad you had such a lovely time. CJ xx