Gorgeous Glasgow - Part One




Ahoy there! I have just returned from a brilliant Scottish adventure week, which we kicked off in gorgeous Glasgow! Despite hearing mixed reviews from people initially, I really loved this city and would highly recommend a visit to all, a couple of days at least. There are plenty of lovely independent shops, cafes and restaurants to suit any taste or appetite. The museums were so wonderful I could have been lost in them all day, and none felt too packed full of visitors so you could happily meander in your own time. The Subway (otherwise known at the clockwork orange) is tiny but efficient, cheap and absolutely impeccably clean - on the whole Glasgow made London look rather grimy, fact! We stayed at the Apex Hotel which was right in the centre of town, making it a great hub to easily to get around day tripping. The staff were friendly and the rooms were very comfy, our city view room gave us a great view across Glasgow and meant we were away from street noise.

This GINORMOUS pile of food from from our first dinner at Bread Meats Bread - definitely one for the meat lovers among us! The beef brisket was amazing (no i didn't eat it all!) and Dave and the Lamb Shank Redemption burger, also a hit! Why bother with Five Guys or other chains when you have a friendly, passionate place like this! A very good start to proceedings! 



The first day was spent wandering the amazing Kelvingrove Art Gallery And Mueum  which was the favourite part of the trip for me, such a wide range of fascinating exhibits from ancient Egypt to taxidermy, dinosaurs to Mackintosh panels, planes and floating heads (scroll down to see what I mean!) Compared to how hectic some big museums can be in the summer holidays, this was a delight! you could get up close to all the exhibits, and they even had a recital on an organ in the main hall to set the scene! 














It was a brilliant morning, we stayed for lunch and then headed off to The University of Glasgow (4th oldest University building in the world!) We hopped on The Clockwork Orange (Look how clean!!!) and was there in 10, the University's architecture is absolutely stunning, hence why it was chosen to be the setting for Hogwarts in scenes from the Harry Potter films - do you recognise it? The cloisters are a world famous feature, they are imposing and I couldn't resist striking my first day at Hogwarts pose! It was a Uni open week so the guides were very friendly in helping us find our way around - I was very jealous of those freshers! 











Thanks for reading and I hope I'm doing Glasgow justice! Back for Part Two very soon!

Katie

3 comments :

Alice Moore said...

I`m from Glasgow. Glad you enjoyed your visit and look forward to Part 2.

Porcelina said...

Oo how fun, this all looks great! I went to Glasgow for work once, no sightseeing time, but we did have some fab food at a good restaurant. I liked what little I saw of the city. Looks like I should return some time! X

Michael said...

Wow, you're not kidding! Impeccable is right! never been to Glasgow either but at least I have ticked off Edinburgh! Good to know about this city as it sounds so up my alley!