Springtime In The Garden


Despite the weathers best efforts to throw us all off track, things are finally beginning to get going in the garden now, hoorah! My new greenhouse has been put to good use this week as I began starting the vegetable seeds, as well as those I planted straight out into the beds. As well as all the veg, I potted up this set of Thompson&Morgan Tall Stocks that my mum ordered off QVC (she can't help herself!), which is my first experience of ordered plug plants. They arrived in only a matter of days, and were very neatly packaged in (fairly) easy to remove plastic, so far, no problems! I must admit I was under prepared for 72 new plants, but luckily I had the bio-degradable pots to start them in for now, I tried my best to be delicate with them, only a couple of casualties! I hope they continue to thrive, my cottage garden will look bare without them!



Otherwise, we completely changed the furthest (and most unattractive!) part of the garden, by clearing the space and putting in three new raised beds made completely from reused materials and homemade compost - I do love thrifty projets! This back area needs a LOT more work, but we have added a bonfire pit now! Once the runner beans and the squashes get covering the fencing with green, it'll be instantly improved! This was a rare sunny day, I think you can tell I'm enjoying myself in this photo, griiiiiiiiiin! :)


I've had good luck with all my spring bulbs, even though they've had several blankets of snow since the New Year, the little pansies never fail to disappoint! It amazes me how hardy they are, despite their delicate watercolour-like appearance (and I don't even usually like purple!) I planted some in an antique sugar bowl to sit inside, and that ones been happily flowering too, makes a change from my usual hyacinths. 



I used scraps of willow to put together a (very quick!) Easter Wreath, I do think my postman thinks I'm a bit mad, there's always a new wreath rattling on the door! I will show my other willow projects in another post, I had a great few weeks at my evening classes!

Wishing you a wonderful Easter Weekend! Lets all wish for springtime sunshine!

Katie

No comments :